Español   English   

Estancia Laguna Vitel - History


History


In 1752 the government of Buenos Aires implements the first permanent defense plan in their border with the indians by setting up three small forts. The company assigned to one of the forts changed its original location in 1761 and moved to the place called “paraje del Zanjón” , 5 leagues form Laguna Vitel thereby the military post receives the name of “Fuerte del Zanjon” [Gorge’s Fort].

In 1778 it is decided to move the fort to the south of the Salado River, but its then captain Pedro Nicolas Escribano, under the advice of a commission that Viceroy Juan Jose de Vertiz appointed to such end, rules out the decision. This commission lays out a new border defense plan that proposes to move the Gorge’s Fort to the area surrounding the Laguna Vitel. In 1779, Escribano manages to erect a fort and a town at the border of the Laguna Chascomus, near Laguna Vitel. At the beginning of 1780, the forces had finally settled down and were operating. So was the town that on that year the town receives the name “Chascomus” an indigenous name that means “salty water” or “many lagoons”.

Perito Moreno (biographic): During the yellow fever epidemics in Buenos Aires, Francisco P Moreno moved with his family to the Gándara ranch, between the Chascomus and Vitel lagoons. In the area he finds a significant fossil site. When returning to Buenos Aires he takes with him 40 boxes of pieces. His father, the main supporter of his vocation, helps him installing the pieces in a place specially built to the purpose in the family’s cottage in Parque Patricios, present location of the Instituto Bernasconi. Starting with this material gathered by the naturist in Laguna Vitel, and later in the Patagonia, is years later the Natural Sciences Museum of the La Plata City created.
Estancia Laguna Vitel aves
Estancia Laguna Vitel cabra
Estancia Laguna Vitel lago
Features

In 1752 the government of Buenos Aires implements the first permanent defense plan in their border with the indians by setting up three small forts. The company assigned to one of the forts changed its original location in 1761 and moved to the place called “paraje del Zanjón” , 5 leagues form Laguna Vitel thereby the military post receives the name of “Fuerte del Zanjon” [Gorge’s Fort].

In 1778 it is decided to move the fort to the south of the Salado River, but its then captain Pedro Nicolas Escribano, under the advice of a commission that Viceroy Juan Jose de Vertiz appointed to such end, rules out the decision. This commission lays out a new border defense plan that proposes to move the Gorge’s Fort to the area surrounding the Laguna Vitel. In 1779, Escribano manages to erect a fort and a town at the border of the Laguna Chascomus, near Laguna Vitel. At the beginning of 1780, the forces had finally settled down and were operating. So was the town that on that year the town receives the name “Chascomus” an indigenous name that means “salty water” or “many lagoons”.

Perito Moreno (biographic): During the yellow fever epidemics in Buenos Aires, Francisco P Moreno moved with his family to the Gándara ranch, between the Chascomus and Vitel lagoons. In the area he finds a significant fossil site. When returning to Buenos Aires he takes with him 40 boxes of pieces. His father, the main supporter of his vocation, helps him installing the pieces in a place specially built to the purpose in the family’s cottage in Parque Patricios, present location of the Instituto Bernasconi. Starting with this material gathered by the naturist in Laguna Vitel, and later in the Patagonia, is years later the Natural Sciences Museum of the La Plata City created.